|The time has come...|
|for us to support a 21st Century marketplace that is vibrant, viable and equitable for everyone.|
Share Your Experience
How You Can Help Us Level the Playing Field for Local Retailers
Members of Congress need to hear directly from business owners about the importance of efairness to jobs, communities and local economies. This is where you can help. Tell us your story!
Simply fill out the form below. We will post your story on efairness.org and submit it to your Member of Congress for you. If you prefer to submit it to the Congressional office yourself, please send us a copy. You can look up your Member of Congress here.
Using the form field below, tell your story by answering these 5 questions:
- What do you sell?
- How long have you been in business?
- How many employees do you have?
- How are you engaged in the community? (List charitable and civic activities)
- How has the online sales tax loophole impacted your business?
Record a Video Testimonial
A simple video testimonial recorded with a smart phone or flip cam is impactful and puts a face on the issue. It also provides your elected official with a first-hand glimpse of your business and your community.
Below are guidelines for recording and submitting a video testimonial:
- Refer to the talking points on the next page and write down a few key points you want to make.
- Select the location where you want to record your testimonial. Great locations include:
- Inside your business (ideally with merchandise or staff in the background)
- Outside your business (ideally with the name visible in the background)
- On the street where your business is located
- Record you remarks using a smart phone, tablet, flip cam or webcam. Video testimonials can be anywhere from 30 seconds to 2 minutes long.
- Make sure you include your name, the name of your business and where it is located.
- Upload your testimonial and click “Submit” to send your testimonial to us.
What to Talk About
To help you get started, we have provided a few talking points below. Feel free to incorporate these into your own testimonial. The most important thing to remember is to be specific about the issue you address and include the call to action: “Congressman/Congresswoman, I urge you to support the Marketplace Fairness Act.”
Why we need a level playing field so that all retailers can compete fairly:
- Local retailers are a vital part of communities across the United States of America.
- We should promote free enterprise and allow retailers to compete based on price, inventory and customer service, not government-imposed sales taxes.
- Local retailers are not asking for special treatment, just the opportunity to compete on a level playing field.
- The Marketplace Fairness Act will level the playing field for all retailers by allowing states to eliminate the unfair advantage online-only sellers currently enjoy.
- Retail isn’t just a place where people shop—it is part of the social and economic fabric of the surrounding community.
- Local retailers provide jobs in the community and generate sales, property and income taxes that fund essential services on which we all rely.
- Local retailers already collect sales taxes on dollar one. The Marketplace Fairness Act gives these businesses a fair chance to compete in today’s marketplace.
If you have implemented and/or are using web-based sales tax collection software, please address some of the following issues:
- How long you have been using a web-based sales tax collection software
- Why you decided to use a web-based sales tax collection software
- How long it took you to set-up the web-based sales tax collection software
- How you would describe the set-up experience
- What it would take for you to collect in multiple states
- What you would tell another retailer who has concerns about using web-based sales tax collection software
- Small towns in WY are struggling to fund public services w/o revenue from' #EFairness'' @SenatorEnzi'' @SenJohnBarrasso…' https://t.co/k0nC5embV2
16 hours ago @efairness
- Fewer than 1% of taxpayers self-report online purchases in NE.' @SenSasse'' @SenatorFischer' act to close the loophole!… https://t.co/rQIYeeEJZ2
19 hours ago @efairness